Sunday, September 30, 2007

My grandma rocks

She can do anything. Seriously. She is one of the MOST self-reliant people that I know. She and my grandpa loved each other more than any people I have ever known. I loved how they talked about each other even after being married over 50 years. They won the "how long have you been married competition" at one of our cousin's weddings 8 years ago and when asked what made it work for so long, my grandpa quickly replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask her, I guess."

Grandma has been rocking the quilt business lately, and she makes awesome, awesome quilts! We all (even starting before mom, I think) have baby quilts that Grandma has made for us...I'm sure she has made hundreds. She also has tons of quilts that she has made over the years (Mom told her that every quilt Grandma makes with a piece of Mom's little girl dresses, Mom automatically gets...oddly enough, Grandma "ran out" of pieces of Mom's clothes pretty soon after that). Grandma made quilts for my little cousins 2 or 3 Christmases ago (after opening his presents that year which included pajamas, my little cousin who I think was 8 at the time, went to another room mumbling that he had gotten nothing but junk...I still laugh about that!) and made quilts for my brother, cousin and I for Christmas this year. BUT, she couldn't hold out until Christmas and gave them to us at the beginning of the month. Grandma made my cousin a really pretty green one that matches her and her husband's bedroom. Grandma designed one for my brother and his wife-- an AWESOME Ohio State quilt b/c they will both be graduating from The Fisher School of Business at OSU in June and they bleed scarlet and grey. Grandma let me pick mine, and I picked the quilt above b/c I thought it looked like a "grandma-style" quilt...I even got to pick the stitching and it's a scallop design. The quilt is king-size, something ilke 96" x 96". Anyway, I'll try to get pictures of the other quilts b/c they are awesome! Girlfriend was slightly put out that she didn't get a quilt that day (although I tried to convince her that mine was for us to share and that she had 2 quilts from Grandma already), so we took a picture of girlfriend with the Strawberry Shortcake quilt that Grandma had "finished" for me, so that made her feel better. I'll put up the other pictures just as soon as I have them.


3 comments:

Deena said...

That grandma quilt is awesome! My grandma made me a strawberry shortcake when I was three. I still have it!

Coordination Queen said...

I love grandma quilts!

Deena said...

Hey, unless you know that guy that speaks ?Portuguese? you can turn word verification on under your comments format in your dashboard to keep from getting those types of comments.